Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Responsibilities and impossibilities.

Wow, not a post to be seen this entire month... and my favourite month at that. Why, you may ask, is this my favourite month? I get a birthday every time it comes around. And only technically do I get older. Some may argue I'm still only 9 though I just turned 19 some days ago.

It's strange, as I was only just getting used to being 18 and BAM! Here's another to add to the count, Amanda. It's strange what it is that actually makes you feel older. Feeling like an adult only began a couple of months ago when I received my first debit card, my own Medicare card and did other adult-y things that finally made me realise that perhaps I might have some mature responsibilities.

So really, can our age be defined by the number we fill in on forms? Or do our attitudes and actions define it in our own way? In saying this, my age switches by day, sometimes by the minute even. One moment I could be making a tax return lodgement, the next, reading Dr Seuss with a bowl of rainbow ice-cream.

As cliché as it's going to sound, age is just a number. Which reminds me of a very wise thirteen-year-old I was talking to recently, who spoke of such concepts and theories that would convince you she had many more years of life experience. It can be quite amazing how young people can talk with such passion and eloquence that blows you away.

She even asked me if I thought it would be possible to bend a spoon with your mind. At first I thought it was a bit of a crazy idea, but as she continued, she reminded me that there are so many things that can be achieved with your mind and so many crazy things that are possible, why should bending a spoon with one’s mind be impossible? Everyone around her thought the idea wasn’t idealistic, and this made me think, why should you bring this idea down? She was right, why should it be impossible?

The way I think about it is that although perhaps we can’t use our mind to bend a spoon physically in reality, our minds can create worlds in which we can do anything and everything we could imagine. Who's to say those worlds we create aren't as real as the one we live in? Only difference is that we can make the rules for those worlds. Those created worlds are where you can bend the spoon with your mind.

When adults tell kids there are such things as this or that, they don’t really believe it. They make it up to spur on a child’s imagination. And not that this is wrong, but in their minds, these things are actually real, in the worlds they have created.
“I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?” – John Lennon.
Perhaps some adults simply lose faith. Children and teens have it all figured out, because despite what some of us can go through, we still have the power to believe that there is more, and we haven't been disappointed perhaps as much as adults have. And I apologise for generalising, adults out there, but how many of you believe in magic or luck or doing an entire assignment in one night? Not many that I know.

I hope that no matter how old I grow to be or what I experience, I can still have some kind of faith that we are more powerful than others may have us think and there is more out there than we could imagine.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment