Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mismatched meanings.

Just like every other word in every language, "Sorry" seems to have different meanings to each person across the world. To some it may mean "I wish I hadn't done it" or "I wish you hadn't found out." Perhaps "I know you don't approve, so I'll just apologise to get off the hook." Maybe it means "I regret it and I won't do it again."

Whatever "Sorry" means to a person, the definition is created by the mix of experiences they've had in life. Were you ever forced to apologise to someone, or did you have someone say it to you and really mean it? Did someone say it a million times, once for evey time they repeated the mistake, losing the meaning of the word?

Every word has a connection with something within our lives, or will possibly have that connection in the future. What do you think of when you hear the word "dad" or "summer" or "illness"? We all have different relationships with our parents, all have had different summers throughout life, and all know illness in different ways.

So then we string together sentences expecting others to understand what our minds comprehend of them, when all these words will never mean the same to another person. I wonder if anyone ever completely understands anyone else.

And I wonder if anyone else thinks "Sorry" means that the person regrets their actions and doesn't want to do it again. Saying it without meaning can be worse and even more hurtful than not saying it at all. Don't apologise if you know you're going to do it again. Don't apologise if it's just because you think it's what the other person wants you to do. Don't apologise if you don't understand. And don't ever apologise if you're not sorry.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment