Monday, August 8, 2011

Compassion and pity.

So to answer your question, no, I did not disappear off the face of the earth :) Sometimes life just presents us with challenges that get in the way of things, including in this instance, blogging! Eek. 3 weeks. Sorry.

You're not going to believe me when I say this, but I was actually in hospital again last week for - you guessed it - another operation! I'm doing okay now, it was nothing serious and there's no need to worry, but "third time's a charm" right? Well I don't really know what that saying is actually intended to mean, but I'm going to go with, three ops in one year is plenty! I think I've met my quota :)

It's weird when you're sick, you come to realise a lot more clearly who your friends are, and the separation between them and those who pretend to care just because they feel sorry for you. That may sound a little harsh, but compassion and pity are two very different things.

Pity is the void filler, and the thing is, pity is usually asked for by the pitied. Unless there is something in you that makes you feel the need to be felt sorry for, it's an uncomfortable feeling to be pitied. It's as if you're not good enough, or rather, not strong enough to push past your obstacle. And in truth, everyone has the strength to push through.

Pity is momentary, whereas compassion will stick with you through challenges. In times when we need our friends and family the most, compassion reminds us that we're not alone. To paraphrase The Beatles, we get by with a little help from our friends.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment