Monday, July 4, 2011

New things, old lights.

People talk so much about looking at old things in new lights, but what if you were to do the exact opposite; look at new things in old lights?

Of course it's interesting to consider past events after feelings have changed, but tuning into old emotions and experiencing new things through this old lens is extremely refreshing. Reading through my old journal makes me realise just how much I've changed over the years, and the way my mind used to work.

As time goes by, we mature, relationships grow, people drift away, fears and passions change... And when you channel those old emotions and your old personality, and place them into a current situation that you would have treated differently back then, it's as if your old self is experiencing something completely new, and not something they should be accustomed to.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Imagine placing the person you are now, personality, emotions and everything into the future, into something you haven't experienced before. Refreshing your memory of what you thought in the past, whether it be through a journal, an old photo or even a piece of clothing you don't wear anymore, will make you realise just how much you can gain from your old self.

If you think about the person you were just before you started dating someone and bring those thoughts into your relationship now, it's so strange and refreshing to consider all those crush-induced nerves and the desire to impress them. Especially strange in comparison to the way you act around them now, and how much different your relationship with them.

Or if you think about how you were feeling at your job interview, versus how you feel about your job now. You could love it more than you had thought, or even hate it and wonder why you thought you were going to love it.

I don't know; you know. And you should give it a go. New things in old lights. It's a weird concept, sure. But what kind of "normal" concept ever changed anything?
.

2 comments:

  1. A voice from the shadows ♥July 5, 2011 at 12:03 AM

    To me, you always make sense. I suppose we're just as mad as each other. But then there is the well-worn and perhaps well-applied adage (is that tautology? Perhaps) that in order for one to be as paradoxically subtle yet blindingly brilliant; as adorably precious; as purely creative as you are my dearest... the madness is merely inevitable. So I thank you, most sincerely, not only for what memories I have of you, but indeed what lies ahead. And for you, I am very sure that future is to be most magnificent indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really sweet, thank you :) And I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one ;)

    ReplyDelete