Thursday, December 2, 2010

Dreams and nightmares.

There has not been a night in the past month or so that I haven't had a dream or nightmare. I sometimes find them difficult to face. I mean, where else but your self-consciousness will you find your true hopes and fears? In wakefulness it is difficult to enough to be able to honestly divulge to oneself (let alone to others) these things. Sometimes our dreams and nightmares are what help us realise them, and sometimes they are what create them.

I never thought I cared about the things my nightmares present. They introduce me to new fears. Doesn't the world offer enough to fear, without your subconscious having to make you realise the many more out there? But I suppose it is what we do with the fear... will we let it control us and get in the way of what we wish to achieve? Or will we face our fears and push through? In that sense, nightmares allow us to analyse what we fear and why we fear these things, allowing us to consider whether or not we should any longer fear them. Am I making any sense?

Dreams and nightmares give us a kind of freedom from our fears and allow us to recognise further our hopes, that our consciousness does not allow. Without dreams and nightmares, only our conscious selves can evaluate our lives, and sometimes that push to look at things subconsciously is just what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment