Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Is ignorance bliss?

Why do I read the news anymore? Seriously, it's just too disheartening. I sometimes find myself avoiding it, walking past it every so often as it patiently waits for me on the kitchen table every day. But I just can't face it sometimes, because almost every story is about loss or hate... or both.

The stories tell often about people just like us. People who work to live, have families, and sometimes live in our areas. This is what makes it harder for me. It makes it real. It makes us realise that these things are possible, are real, and could happen to any one of us.

It scares me to death. Sure, it's always good to know what's going on in the world around us, but it's always the sad, bad or horror stories that stick with us, and remind us that such things can happen to anyone... And so I ask, is ignorance bliss?

2 comments: